The One Where Bernice Turns 21



Twenty-one years ago, God decided to revoke my "Only Child" Privilege Card and gave me a sister. Everything changed from that point on.

Please don't get the wrong idea. Bernice and I weren't close like some other siblings are. I wouldn't even dare to call myself her best friend. With the 5 and half-year age gap, it's difficult to be close. For a majority of my life, I've seen Bernice as my "little" kid sister. I remember fighting with her a lot because we just didn't understand each other. She was the kid who damaged my PlayStation, the kid I had to babysit, the kid I had to help with homework, the kid I had to include in activities with my friends, the kid that needed my parent's undivided attention. 

I love her but I also have diary entries that can prove that we fought a lot. My mom would always give me the same lecture after every fight. The lecture usually ends with me getting in trouble because I "should know better" and "you have to understand that you two are different". Mom would use her serious voice and always say, "you have to take care of her because it's just the two of you". 

Isn't that crazy?! Out of 7 billion people on earth, there are only 2 humans who are products of our parent's DNA smushed together. THERE ARE ONLY TWO! This means that there is only one person in the whole entire world that could relate to how I grew up. Through all those moving around, meeting new people, trying to impress other people, trying to find ourselves in the midst of ever changing environments, there was only one person who "got it" and it's that little kid Bernice.


Well today she's not so little anymore. She's 21 years old. We're both in our 20s and I never realize how weird that is until now. Now, she's off applying for internships and looking for apartments with her friends. I can't even wrap my head around that yet. It's crazy! 

Recently, I've even started looking up to her. Well, not physically because for some reason she didn't inherit the "tall gene", but you guys know what I mean.  No longer was she the annoying brat who I had to take care of. No longer is she the kid who would watch the same episode of Barney over and over and over again. Now, she's a person I admire.

I admire the way she grew up. Bernice has been through a lot. Most of those things I can never relate to and I didn't help her with but she powered through. I admire her simplicity. Bernice doesn't need nor crave to be the center of the attention. I admire her loyalty to her friends, her ability to adapt to major changes, and her attitude towards life. I admire the fact that she's not jaded and that she never held a grudge. I admire that she doesn't have my flaws.

Lastly, I truly admire her taste in music. Bernice never bothered with limiting herself to one genre. She likes what she likes and what she likes sounds good. I remember those days when I came home for college and started asking her for new songs to listen to. She will find artists online whom you've never heard of but you will want to put in your playlist.

And to end this long love note to the birthday girl, here is one of the songs she shared with me years ago. I remember just being on our couch listening to this song on repeat. 

Ok wait... please allow me to be sappy for a few more seconds: 

Sigh. Bernice, I am forever grateful that you came in my life 21 years ago. I hope you have a great year and I hope to celebrate more birthdays with you. Don't worry too much about being an adult; it'll come soon enough. For now enjoy this moment. Enjoy your life. Live it.

I know we're physically apart now, but you know that when all is said and done, there's only the two of us. Take comfort in that. We'll always find our way to each other.

You and me. A team that will never be replicated. 

"Where the Road Meets the Sun" by Katie Herzig and Matthew Perryman Jones





Comments

  1. Awww! Happy birthday, Bernice! :) A very nice, moving piece, Muriel :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2017)

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2018)

The Privilege of Knowing Me