My Top 10 Songs & Albums (2017)

I am finally revealing my top 10 songs & albums of 2017. It took two months, TWO MONTHS to think this through. It literally took a while for me to go through a lot of songs and albums. Out of 100 songs and 20 albums that I listened to during 2017, it was freakin’ hard! I gave you my top 10 OPM (Original Philippine Music) songs, K-pop songs & albums, and music videos; this is my last post of the #MUSICOF2017. So, here are my top songs & albums:



Note: Judging the songs by lyrics and instrumentation. Judging the albums by the whole content and how well it was produced.

- SONGS -
#10 Give Love by Andy Grammer (feat. LunchMoney Lewis)
Andy Grammar is known for positive songs like “Fresh Eyes”, “Keep Your Head Up”, and ”Honey, I’m Good”. Every time I listen to one of his songs, it puts a smile on my face. His single, “Give Love” gave me the same reaction. I’m a little shocked that this track is not popular like his other singles. If you’re a fan of summer laid back songs like “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz, “Give Love” is a must listen. He collaborated with rapper, LunchMoney Lewis who I honestly never heard of, but I loved his part where he rapped, “Down the avenue, they hate I'm throwing the peace sign, that my own reply, you know I don't even try.” This song sends a good message about love. It really does. It basically means the importance of love is to give love and cherish that. "Give Love" is an upbeat love song that deserves more recognition.


"All of my people need love, I give some 'cause in the end, the love we take got nothing on the love we make."

#9 Shape of You by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran released two songs during the first week of January 2017, “Shape of You” and “Castle on the Hill”. “Shape of You” was the one that immediately drew me in. It’s been on repeat ‘til this day. This should’ve been nominated for Grammys ‘Record of the Year’ in my opinion. You have to admit, it is so damn catchy. It’s one of those songs you won’t get annoyed to. It’s a pop song that’s not all over the place. Awesome simple beats with sensual lyrics. What got me hooked with this was the chorus. “I’m in love with the shape of you”. Saying that to someone is sexy and it builds confidence to people with different sizes. Mad props for Sheeran for giving us a poppy song that you can listen to for years. His upbeat songs are always addictive and this one didn’t disappoint me.


"I'm in love with the shape of you."

#8 Rescue by Hunter Hayes
Coming in #8 is Hunter Hayes's single, “Rescue”. When you combine Hayes playing his electric guitar, with simple beats, and his voice combined, that’s country magic. He never disappoints when he releases new music. This country singer never fails to send important messages to his fans like his song, “Invisible”. The lyrics of “Rescue” is really meaningful. It’s when a person is on his or her lowest point of their life and they just need someone to be there for them. He is basically saying that even though people can take care of themselves, people need people sometimes; we always need a helping hand. If you haven’t listened to this inspirational country pop song, please do.


"If I ever run too far and when the pieces come unglued, the mess of me will always need the best of you."

#7 I Have Questions by Camila Cabello
“I Have Questions” is a song that is depressing to be played over and over again. Camila Cabello, former member of Fifth Harmony released this record first and I was in complete shock how her voice sounds genuine in this. When the violin starts playing, I knew “I Have Questions” will ruin me. The emotion of her voice and the melody combined is heartbreaking. It’s a song where I imagine myself saying this to the people who betrayed and broke me. This record proves that Cabello can be so much more than a pop star. It’s a powerful, strong, heartrending song that you can belt out to in your own room. One of the best emotional songs of 2017 that deserves to be listened to in my opinion.


"Do you care, do you care? Why don't you care? I gave you all of me. My blood, my sweat, my heart, and my tears."

#6 Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man
If you’re a fan of '60s music and early hits of the '70s, you will love “Feel It Still”. Listening to this felt like it deserves on a record player. I really want a vinyl of this song so bad. It kind of reminds me of, “Twist and Shout” by The Beatles and a little bit of “Paint It Black” by The Rolling Stones. Portugal. The Man got ideas from “Please Mr. Postman” by The Marvelettes when it came to the instrumentals. It’s a song that is catchy, but a little confusing if you don’t know the story behind this song. The band told the meaning of this song about the rebellion and revolution focusing on poverty and desperation during the 1960's to 1980’s and also the justice issues during that time. “Feel It Still” reflects the way we feel and how we feel about what’s going on with society, politics, and the world. And I admire how this band released a single about that.


"Ooh woo, I'm a rebel just for kicks now. I been feeling it since 1966 now. Might be over now, but I feel it still."

#5 HUMBLE. by Kendrick Lamar
We’re half way done with my top 10 songs, and “HUMBLE.” by Kendrick Lamar takes #5. Lamar always releases a single that exceeds my expectations. The hype of this song gave me a rollercoaster of feels. Honestly, didn’t like this rap song at first because the screech sound and fast rap in the beginning threw me off. I didn’t even finish listening to it, but when I did, I changed my mind. I don’t know if it’s the lyrics or the beat, but everything about this song was awesome. I love the lyrics ‘cause Lamar is saying you should be humble with the imperfection of people’s beauty and when it comes to the instrumentals, I just love the piano playing and intense beats that made this song tremendous. A round of applause of another successful single by the awesome Kendrick Lamar.


"I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop. Show me somethin' natural like afro on Richard Pryor. Show me somethin' natural like ass with some stretchmarks."

#4 I Will Spend My Whole Life Loving You by Imaginary Future & Kina Grannis
If you want a song for your wedding, this is one of them. The whole song mostly consists with an acoustic guitar playing and Imaginary Future and Kina Grannis singing. One of my favorite duos in the music world because their voices are just so soothing. Every time they perform together, it makes my heart flutter. If you don’t know them, Kina Grannis is a Youtube singer/songwriter and Imaginary Future is a one man acoustic band and his name is Jesse Epstein also Kina’s husband. This couple writes lovely and wonderful ballads and “I Will Spend My Whole Life Loving You” is my favorite so far. The lyrics are encouraging when it comes to finding love. Where you spend with someone you truly love for your whole life and believe in a forever and a soul mate. They created a beautiful love song that deserves a lot of recognition.


"Baby, isn't it crazy that we are born only to die? But lately, I've been counting my stars 'cause I will spend my whole life loving you."

#3 Praying by Kesha
“Praying” is the single that made me love Kesha more as an artist. This definitely deserves to be on my top 10. My God! This song made me tear up ‘cause of the raw emotion of Kesha’s voice just gave me chills. It’s an emotional song that touched a lot of people’s hearts including mine. It starts with a piano playing with simple notes then it builds up with hard drum beats that I absolutely love. She talked about the struggles and obstacles that have been going on in the past four years of her life. She wrote this soulful pop song to spread love and that everything will get better despite the struggles you are going through like depression and mental illness, it will get better. I love how the lyrics show that love is better than hate. That anger and hatefulness will do nothing to make your life any better. It’s a single that sends an important message to people around the world; a message that means to not steal someone’s happiness. “Praying” is a powerful, emotional, and touching song that changed people’s lives.


"I can thank you for how strong I have become 'cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell. I had to learn how to fight for myself."

#2 1-800-273-8255 by Logic (ft. Alessia Cara & Khalid)
Almost to #1 is another touching and inspirational song, “1-800-273-8255” by Logic. Logic is a rapper who collaborated with singers, Alessia Cara and Khalid and made this single one of the most talked about songs of 2017. Not a lot of people talk about mental illness, depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety before and I’m honestly glad that people are discussing about it now. This is the song that immediately went through my heart and soul and made me cry for the first time. I cried even more when they performed this during the VMAs ‘cause it really made a huge impact to a lot of people. I love how this song just has simple beats with gospel sounds, nothing that’s all over the place. The lyrics really dug deep to my soul. The part when Cara starts singing, that’s when tears started streaming down on my face and I didn’t even realize it. That’s how emotional this song is. I honestly don’t listen to this most of the time ‘cause it really makes me cry or makes me tear up a little. “1-800-273-8255” really saved lives.


"I been taking my time. I feel like I'm out of my mind. It feel like my life ain't mine. I finally wanna be alive."

#1 I Wouldn't Be by Kodaline
And my #1 song of 2017 is “I Wouldn’t Be” by Kodaline. I was beyond speechless with this song. Half of this record is mostly acapella. It starts with lead singer, Steve Garrigan singing 30 seconds of this song; no background music or instrumentals, just his voice then his other members start singing with him and there's something so magical about that and gave me automatic goosebumps. Their voices really blend well together. And the second half of this song starts with folk mix with Irish music. The lyrics really hit me right in the feels. I immediately think of my family and my close friends about this. This track is basically about the people that you genuinely love and care about. You wouldn't be who you are because of them. I honestly think about my family first 'cause I don't know who I would be if they weren't in my life. I'm seriously tearing up while writing this. Umm, I'm thankful that they understood my imperfections. And to my close friends, I just think of the amazing memories that I've shared with them and without those memories, I don't know who I would be. This song really deserves to be listened to over and over again. A well composed song by one of my favorite alternative rock/indie folk bands that took my heart away. Thank you for giving us a breathtakingly beautiful song, Kodaline. 

"I wouldn't be who I am without you."

- ALBUMS - 
#10 Evolve by Imagine Dragons
Let’s start with my #10 pick which is “Evolve” by Imagine Dragons. I’ve been a fan of this band for years because of their intense rock and electropop music. I was beyond excited that they were releasing their third studio album, “Evolve” and I wasn’t disappointed, but I wasn’t overall satisfied. I’m not disappointed because this whole album was awesome, but it was lacking something. When the last track “Dancing in the Dark” finished, I was thinking to myself, there was something missing in this album, but I couldn’t pinpoint what it was. My reason why “Evolve” is on my top 10 is because it’s a record that I can listen to every day and if I shuffle my Spotify playlist, and one of these tracks came on, I wouldn't skip it. And Dan Reynolds can sing deep into your soul throughout this album mix with powerful rock synthpop sounds that is just so addicting to listen to.

Imagine Dragons can really solidify their sounds with amazing lyrics about society and empowerment. Out of this album, my favorites are “I Don’t Know Why”, “Whatever It Takes”, “Believer”, “Walking the Wire”, “Yesterday”, “Thunder”, and “Dancing in the Dark”. Even though it wasn’t my favorite album from them, “Evolve” is a great and influential album that I wouldn't mind listening to every day.  

Rating: 6.8/10


#9 So Good by Zara Larsson
Ever since Zara Larsson’s single, “Lush Life” came out during 2015, I immediately became a fan with this pop artist. Her voice is just so captivating and refreshing to listen to. I was wondering what Epic Records is doing because she was only releasing singles like her hit, “Never Forget You” featuring MNEK and I was waiting for her album to come out because her songs are a bop! “So Good” was finally released in March 2017 and even though this is her second album, it’s the first one to be released internationally. What I love about this album is the electro beats. Her tracks are definitely the songs you jam to with yourself and with friends; I also like that some of her songs are toned down a bit ‘cause I get to listen to her softer side.

What I didn’t like was how these tracks were arranged. “So Good” contains 15 songs and I do skip some songs ‘cause I find them a little bit dull. Once I listened to the whole album, I liked it, but on my second listen, some her tracks were a bit boring. It may not be the best pop album, but a pop album that deserves a lot of recognition. Larsson is the type of artist that continuously shines and grows in the music industry and this album shows that. My favorites in this album are “Lush Life”, “I Would Like”, “So Good”, “TG4M”, “Never Forget You”, “Don’t Let Me Be Yours”, “Ain’t My Fault”, “I Can’t Fall In Love Without You”, and “Symphony.” “So Good” deserves to be on my top 10 because it’s an electropop album that defines Larsson as an artist and an artist that will go far in her career.

Rating: 7/10


#8 Rainbow by Kesha
Kesha just gave me an album that I did not expect from her. Her third studio album, “Rainbow” is something different than her other previous albums. Ever since her single, “Praying” came out, I was emotional while listening to it. I never heard something like that from her, so I didn’t know of what this album would sound like.  “Rainbow” really shows her vulnerable and artistic side; that is why this is my favorite record from her. This is the path that I want her to continue. Before, her albums just had this fun and poppy club music vibe, now it has genres of not just pop, but also a mix of rock and country which shocked me coming from her. She still has that edgy pop vibe that made her as an artist, but with a better comeback in this album. Some of her tracks remind me of female rock singer, Joan Jett, pop rock singer, Avril Lavigne, and also the pop rock band, The Weekend. The whole album really has this ‘80s theme that I really like and has great inspirational songs about women empowerment and self-importance.

The last four years of Kesha’s life had been difficult for her and she redeemed herself with this album. She sounds more mature and more authentic. There are some songs that her vocals were a little weak and I know she has that powerful voice in her, she just have to push herself a little bit more and I cannot wait what her future holds for her. In this album, my favorites are “Bastards”, “Let ‘Em Talk”, “Woman”, “Hymn”, “Praying”, “Learn To Let Go”, “Finding You”, “Rainbow”, and “Godzilla”. “Rainbow” really exceeded my expectations. It’s a well produced album with well written songs and I like this direction that Kesha is going.

Rating: 7.5/10


#7 Flicker by Niall Horan
Niall Horan, member of the pop boy group, One Direction dropped his debut album, “Flicker” during 2017 and I was indeed pleased with this album. If you’re a fan of acoustic, country, and folk-pop music, you will love this album. When he released his singles, “This Town” and “Slow Hands”, they were both successful and I knew this is the artistic route that I want from him. Listening to the whole album was mild, nothing that’s very upbeat. Most of his tracks are the ones you listen to at a coffee shop or at a bookstore. What I admire about “Flicker”, you finally get to listen to Horan’s sultry and soft melodic voice and also his songwriting. If you’re looking for an upbeat or bubbly album, this is not it; it’s an acoustic album all the way. Lyrically, these tracks are beautifully and wonderfully well written when he describes about relationships, love, self-love, and heartbreak. Listening to him felt genuine and like he’s singing personally to you.

A few of his songs remind of “Lost Stars” by Adam Levine and when Gerald Butler sang “I Love You ‘Till the End” from the film, “P.S. I Love You”. Also he has this Hunter Hayes kind of vibe too. All of his songs on this album are amazing, but my favorites are, “This Town”, “Slow Hands”, “Paper Houses”, “Flicker”, “Fire Away”, “On My Own”, and “The Tide”. “Flicker” is definitely a great start for him as a solo artist. He really has potential and I believe he’ll go far in the music industry.

Rating: 7.7/10


#6 Feel Something by Jaymes Young
If you don’t know Jaymes Young, he is an alternative and indie pop artist who is an amazing songwriter. I became a fan of this guy when I was listening to his song “Two More Minutes” then listened to his “Dark Star” EP. What instantly made me love this guy was his voice and his experimental music; it just blends so well. His debut album, “Feel Something” is definitely a great start for his music career. While listening to the whole album, I can tell Young put a lot of effort into this album with the songwriting and the production. The sounds off of this record are offbeat and the lyrics are genuine. I love that the tracks off of this album shows his vulnerable side of life and love.

With his alternative sounds mix of electric beats, it’s definitely not the kind of album to just dance to, but an album to sing along and relate to. There are tracks you can easily belt out to in your room. Even though some of his songs slightly have the same beats, I’m just so distracted to his experimental instrumentals, I hardly focus on the repetitive beats. I love all of the tracks in this album, but if I would pick my faves, “Stoned On You”, “Don’t You Know”, “Stone”, “Sugar Burn”, “Feel Something”, “We Won’t”, “Naked”, and “I’ll Be Good”. If you never heard of Young, please listen to his debut album, “Feel Something” and you’ll know why I instantly fell in love with his talent.

Rating: 8/10


#5 midnight by Lewis Watson
We are half way done with my top 10 albums, and coming in #5 is “midnight” by Lewis Watson. Watson is one of my favorite singers/songwriters of all time and I usually love his songwriting just ‘cause it’s straightforwardly and brilliantly written. Ever since I listened to his song “Sink or Swim” a few years ago, his sweet and raspy voice just immediately made me love him. Watson is known for his acoustic songs when he released his debut album, “the morning”, and his second studio album, “midnight” sounds more alternative rock, but still has his acoustic style. All throughout this album, I can tell Watson put a lot of effort when it comes to his instrumentals and lyrics. You can really listen to his emotion and vulnerability with melancholic and artistic sounds on this record.

“midnight” is the kind of the album to listen to late at night and think about life. This is the album that you really have to take time to listen to. This is thoughtfully done and that’s why I appreciate and love this album. I couldn’t pick a favorite. All of these tracks were well produced and I think the only song that is not my favorite is “hello hello” just ‘cause it was a little dragging, but seriously I respect the whole concept of “midnight”. I only listen to this album when I’m in a sad and sentimental mood. Lewis Watson deserves a lot of recognition as an artist because he is one of the greatest songwriters of our generation in my opinion.

Rating: 8.5/10


#4 DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar
Kendrick Lamar is the rapper that I instantly knew he will go far in the music career ever since I listened to his album, “To Pimp A Butterfly” during 2015. His fourth studio album, “DAMN.” just blew me away. One of the best lyrical rap albums I’ve ever listened to. The first thing I loved about this album was the arrangement. When the first track, “BLOOD.” played then ended and went to the next track, “DNA.”, it was awesome how each track transitioned until the closing song. My ears were intensified with his powerful rap and killer beats. I can tell Lamar had so much passion while recording “DAMN.” I just love how there’s a story in each track. He is literally giving a piece of his life out of “DAMN.”

The songs talk about society issues, love, and the world that we live in. He deserves so much recognition. I just love how raw and strong the sounds and the lyrics are on the entire album. It’s not an album that you normally listen to, you really have to take time to listen to his lyrics in each track; some of the songs may sound aggressive, but the whole content of this album is just amazing and well produced. “DNA.”, “ELEMENT.”, “FEEL.”, “HUMBLE.”, “LOVE.”, “XXX.”, and “DUCKWORTH.” are my favorites from this album. If you haven’t listened to “DAMN.” yet, you have to so you can get a sense of Lamar’s creative mind.

Rating: 9/10 


#3 Freudin by Daniel Caesar
Ever since I listened to R&B singer, Daniel Caesar's "Best Part" featuring female singer H.E.R. during 2017, he immediately blew me away with his smooth and melodic vocals. I loved him even more when I listened to his debut album, "Freudian". This album was such an easy and classy R&B and gospel album that I enjoyed listening to. These tracks are the kind of tracks you listen to during a relaxing morning, lazy afternoon, or when you're slow dancing with someone you love. The lyrics in all of the songs are really romantic, lovely, and endearing. How he describes about longing for love and also finding himself made me adore him as an artist.

There are one or two tracks that had weird instrumentals that didn't fit well on this album, but the songwriting saved that. My favorite songs are "Get You", "Best Part", "Hold Me Down", "Loose", "We Find Love", "Blessed", "Take Me Away", and "Freudian". Overall, "Freudian" is an album that was very pleasing to my ears and beautifully produced. Caesar really has potential to become one of the biggest R&B singers and "Freudian" is a great start to showcase that.

Rating: 9.2/10


#2 American Teen by Khalid
Khalid came out nowhere and snatched me with his unique and soulful vocals. This R&B singer released successful singles like "Location" and "Young Dumb & Broke" and gave me an amazing and funky debut album that made me become an instant fan. "American Teen" literally had no skips for me. I was satisfied with every track in this album. It's not the kind of album you listen to on a daily basis, you listen to it when you rest after studying for an exam or while you're on a late night drive or if you just want to lay on your bed and think. I am in love with his songwriting. I love how I can relate to some of his songs. He writes and sings about being a teenager, being a misfit, and relationships with lovers and friendships that had their ups and downs. The instrumentals all throughout this album has synthpop sounds with simple and unusual beats that I like. And some of the tracks have this '90s R&B vibe that I also like. I noticed the first track had an alarm clock sound and the closing track has it too, so it's like a cycle of "American Teen" which is cool.

I think the 15 songs were bit too much for a debut album if Khalid wants people to listen to his music for the first time, but I don't mind it. I love all of these tracks, the only one that’s not my favorite is “Let’s Go” because it was missing something for me, but still a great song. Even though there are 15 songs, it's an album I would repeat so many times. "American Teen" was such a smooth ride album to listen to. I can tell that it was natural and fun for him to record this album just by listening to it. As a young R&B/pop artist, Khalid will go far and I can't wait what the future holds for him.

Rating: 9.5/10


#1 Melodrama by Lorde
I have to give a round of applause for Lorde. My God. "Melodrama" is my #1 pick because it is a storytelling album that captured my heart and my emotions. To be honest, when I listened to her single "Green Light" for the first time, it was an okay listen, but listening to it again, it's one of those songs on my playlist that's on repeat. When I listened to "Melodrama" for the first time, she really gave me an unexpected ride and experience. The whole album shows her vulnerable side about her first heartbreak and another side of being strong on trying to move on on her own. This is not the kind of album you just shuffle the tracks, you really have to start from the beginning 'til the end. So every time I listen to this record, I always start from "Green Light" til the last track, "Perfect Places". I really felt like I was listening to her story. The lyrics are just incredible and awe-inspiring. This electropop/pop album has sounds that are offbeat, weird, and eccentric that immediately draws me in. It really is out of the ordinary for a pop album and I love that. The instrumentation throughout the whole album was unpredictable and fun to listen to. Who would have thought that I would dance about being alone and about heartbreak. Lorde did that!

It is rare that I love all the songs in an album, but this one, I can't pick because all of them were cohesive and so damn brilliant. One of the best and well produced albums in my opinion. Lorde, thank you. Just thank you for giving us a remarkable and well made album. At a young age, her artistry amazes me so much ever since she released her debut album "Pure Heroine" came out during 2013. If you haven't listened to "Melodrama" yet, please do. You are missing out.

Rating: 10/10


Whew! Those are my top 10 songs & albums. What was your favorite song and album of 2017? Comment below. Even though it took a while, I really enjoyed writing this review/blog post. Thank you for taking your time to read this. Until next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2017)

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2018)

The Privilege of Knowing Me