My Top 10 OPM Songs (2018)

I had fun writing "my top 10" posts last year, and I want to do it again. First, I'm going to reveal my top 10 OPM songs of 2018. If you're reading this and don't know what OPM is, it stands for "Original Philippine Music" or "Organisasyon ng mga Pilipinong Manunugtog at Mangangawit". It's a music genre that are Philippine songs and ballads. If you want to know more about it and how I got into this genre, go to this link; it also has my top 10 OPM songs of 2017:

Time to reveal my top 10 OPM songs: 



Honorable Mentions
*Note: If my explanation of the song is wrong, I'm sorry; this is based on what I think the song is about. And please, if you have your own interpretation, comment below. Let's get started.

*Criteria: lyrics and production of the song




#10 Wait by Over October 
Over October is an alternative/pop rock band that kind of reminds me of one of my favorite bands, Run River North mix with this Jason Mraz vibe that I like. They released a single called 'Wait', an alternative acoustic song that makes me think about someone I had feelings for and hopefully that person can reciprocate those feelings back, but you just know nothing will ever happen between you two, but you still wait and imagine being together. Ugh! Unrequited love hurts like a b**ch. If you want to listen to a sad song, 'Wait' is one of them. Thanks, Over October for making my heart crack a little while I was listening to this song for the first time.

"Waiting on someone who'll never be yours. It's like running in circles up unending floors."

#9 Oks Lang by John Roa 
Coming in #9 is another sad song about love. Great (haha). I discovered John Roa, a pop/r&b artist because of 'Oks Lang'. He may not have the strongest voice in my opinion, but I can feel that he poured his heart out while recording this song. It's an emotionally heartwrenching song with lingering r&b sounds about not knowing what to do after a breakup or a love that just ended, like a flame that just burns out. I love the line where he sings about wanting to hug this person even though it's over between them, it's like that's the closure; that part killed me.

"Ang gusto ko lang naman ay yaapin mo ako, kahit hindi na totoo."

#8 N/A by Dhruva Tara
Enough with slow sad songs for now, 'N/A' by Dhruva Tara is one of those songs that you can definitely bob your head to; you can thank the electric guitar and piano riffs 'cause man, it's addicting to listen to. 'N/A' is about understanding what a person wants with the other person. It's like do you still want me or not, because I want you, so what's your decision? The whole song itself is the perfect song to sing your lungs out on a car joyride or inside of your room.

"Hindi ko pa kayang sabihin, na ika'y wala na sa akin."

#7 Takipsilim by Autotelic
Autotelic, an alternative/pop rock band released a song called 'Takipsilim' that really sets the mood when you're having a late night drive or a night out. I love this record's intro, very 80's throwback disco pop sound. I really admire how this band produced a cool funky crafted song. It's the kind of song that I would listen to and reminisce about the good moments of my life and also imagine what my future will be like. It's great that there are bands playing these kinds of songs that our generation should definitely listen to.

"Takipsilim, aaminin mga lihim."

#6 Tagpuan by Moira Dela Torre
There's no question that Moira Dela Torre knows how to produce a beautiful ballad that can make someone cry on their first listen and 'Tagpuan' is one of them. I can tell that this song was carefully recorded; Moira wanted to make this song meaningful and she succeeded. The mixture of the acoustic guitar and subtle sound of the piano automatically makes me want to close my eyes and just feel. If you're thinking about your bad memories or a messy past in your life and you question why your life has to be like that, but you think that there's still a glimmer of hope that there will be something good just waiting for you, 'Tagpuan' is the song to listen to.

"Tumingin kung saan. Sinubukan kong lumisan at tumigil ang mundo. Nung ako'y ituro mo at hindi ka lumayo."

#5 SUNRISE by Ben&Ben
  1. Halfway done with my top 10, and coming in #5 is 'SUNRISE' by Ben&Ben. 'SUNRISE' is definitely one of those positively "feel good" songs. Oh Ben&Ben, you guys succeeded again to make me smile unexpectedly while listening to a song of yours. I needed a bright, positive song during 2018, this was it. The instrumentals complement the lyrics really well; it's about being hopeless, but there's always a new day, so giving up on yourself is not an option. Having a bad day? Listen to 'SUNRISE', like right now. You won't regret it.


"Sunrise, show my weary heart, that a new day will soon arrive."

#4 Tahanan by Munimuni
Munimuni is one of those bands that I would show to people who wants to start listening to OPM. Discovered them during 2018 and instantly fell in love with this alternative/folk pop band. Released a song, 'Tahanan' that has this positively evocative sound with simple, but expressive lyrics. This song is basically about being in love with a person and feel like you're already at home, like being with this person is your home. Writing about that is not something original, but Munimuni knows how to make it feel poetic and like there's a person out there for you when you listen to 'Tahanan'.

"Nandito lang ako, umaakay sa'yo. Nandito lang ako, naghihintay sa'yo."

#3 Tulog Na by Sabu
Sabu is a singer/songwriter that I've just discovered last year. I instantly became a fan because of her beautifully strong voice and because of her song, 'Tulog Na'; this soulful rock song is so damn relatable. It's about when your heart is tired and broken, so you need a break when it comes to falling in love 'cause there's time for that, but you still don't have to give up on love. Basically, girls and boys, I know this sounds cliché , but stop looking for love, love will find you. I have to remind myself that too.

"Tulog na, puso ko. Habang patuloy na umiikot ang mundo."

#2 Take Her to the Moon by Moira Dela Torre (2018 version)
I have to give Moira a round of applause for making another song that made me cry. She never fails to play with my heartstrings. I've listened to 'Take Her to the Moon' a few years back and instantly fell in love with the song. The difference with the 2015 version and 2018 version is instead of an acoustic guitar playing, this version has a piano and violin playing in the background with a better production. It's a heartbreaking and also a heartwarming song about selfless love. It's about when a person ended a relationship, but still wants you to be happy and wants the best for you.

"So before I say goodbye, would you do one last thing for me, be happy."

#1 Mundo by IV of Spades
Finally! Yes, I picked the most played song in the Philippines and the most played OPM song on my Spotify because it really deserves to be on my #1. 'Mundo' by IV of Spades was released on the beginning of 2018 and 'til this day, I'm still listening to it. In my opinion, this band produced a timeless love song  about falling in love with someone who is your world and your home; I'm a sucker for those kind of songs. It was something different than the disco funky songs they previously released; 'Mundo' has this nostalgically alluring alternative rock sound that I really love. The second half of this song is my favorite because of that awesome electric guitar solo and the build up to the chorus, that part is gold. I don't care that 'Mundo' is the song that has been playing numerous times, I mark this song as one of the greatest OPM songs ever.

"Aking sinta, ikaw na ang tahanan at mundo."

And those are my top 10 OPM songs of 2018. What was your favorite OPM song of 2018? Did you have a favorite from my top 10? Comment below. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2017)

The Privilege of Knowing Me