Lessons I've Learned From the First Half of 2017

I usually wait 'til the end of December of every year to look back at all the lessons I've learned. 2017 is special though -- full of life lessons. All of these are very difficult to swallow, but they're important to understand. So gather around people, I've got some wisdom for ya:


1) Everything is Temporary

People will think this was a pretty pessimistic but hear me out. This is probably the most important lesson I learned this year. Todo es temporal.

The bad things in life are temporary. As some of you might already know, I went through a pretty dark phase during the latter part of 2016 and early 2017. There was a point where I thought, "welp, this is how it's always going to be and I might as well get used to it". Well kids, that pain you feel when shit happens, it will pass. It may not feel that way but trust me when I say, the sun will shine again. Be kind and patient with yourself. Power through all the shit because this is just temporary. I got out of bed again. I laughed again. I became a positive part of the conversation again. This too shall pass.

Just as the bad things in life are temporary, so are the good things.

You like that happy moment you're experiencing now? Good. Enjoy it! Enjoy it in all it's glory. BE PRESENT! Don't compare it to the last happy feeling you had (past) or imagine when you'll be able to experience it again (future). Live in the present because that moment will pass. Take a picture (actual or mental) and write it down in your journal. That happy moment will most likely never be duplicated again so you might as well live it.

Don't expect anything to stay the same forever. Change is inevitable.

Todo es temporal.

2) Most things are best kept private (or with a selected few)

This was very difficult for me to learn this because I like sharing thoughts and experiences. During the very difficult part of my life, I was desperate for release. I need to share with people what I'm going through, needed them to listen, and needed honest/objective advice. It was emotionally taxing and telling people about it made me relive it over and over again.

This was very difficult for me to learn this because I like sharing thoughts and experiences. During the very difficult part of my life, I was desperate for release. I need to share with people what I'm going through, needed them to listen, and needed honest/objective advice. It was emotionally taxing and telling people about it made me relive it over and over again.

Another issue with it was that after the conversation I had with people, they go back to their lives and live it. They may be your best friends and they will empathize with you. They might even give you some great advice. But at the end of the day, they have to go back to their own lives. They have their own challenges they have to face.

You ultimately have to power through all your issues alone. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Don't get me wrong, vent if you need to. Don't keep that shit bottled up inside. But please choose your tribe wisely.

Besides, it's kinda nice to have things just for yourself right?

*note: I don't know how to best explain this so I hope you got it.

3) Everybody is just trying to figure Life out.

Just as you are navigating through this challenging journey called Life, so is the rest of the world. It's tough out there and everyone is trying to figure out what they want out of life and how to best live it. Their views and processes might be different from yours, but you can't judge them for it. You can't dictate how they should be living their lives and how they should "figure it out". Do not stop the process. Easy enough right?

But in order to do that, sometimes you have to let them go. You have to set them free to explore and have their own adventures. You have to let the find out what they want. That part is difficult. Extremely difficult but fair. Fair because you want them to give you the same courtesy when you're trying to figure your shit out. Right? Right.

Nobody gets an easy ride at this. Everybody is going through something.

Alright. That's all I've got for now. If all that was too much to take in, here's the summary:

- Be Present
- Be Kind and Patient (especially with yourself)
- Don't give too much of yourself away
- Be Empathetic
- Live Your Life the Way You Want To (and give the same courtesy to others)

With that said, I'll leave you with "Traveling Song" by Ryn Weaver. This song was written for/about her grandpa. I took it as my traveling song dedicated to all those I've met and will meet in this journey. People and experiences might be temporary, but I'm glad they're part of the timeline forever.
Nobody knows where they are going// Oh, how we try to wrap our minds// Over the edge of all our knowings// Be it a bang or the divine//Tip of my iceberg blues are showing// I've never been one for goodbyes// So, 'till I meet you there, I'm singing// A traveling song to ease the ride// And so you know, everywhere I roam// I'll see you on the road

"Traveling Song" by Ryn Weaver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2017)

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2018)

The Privilege of Knowing Me