Making Friends

Me: What if I don't make any friends?
Friend: That's ridiculous!
Me: But it's a real concern of mine. What if I can't do it?
Friend: You'll be fine.

I had that conversation with my friend about 9 years ago. I was packing up, about to move out of the community where I grew up in, and was very afraid. I wasn't confident enough in my ability to make new friends and to my friend this idea was "ridiculous".

She was right.

I've been through a lot of shit. Things were just not working out and it's during these times when we feel we aren't really good at anything. Pride is at an all time low. Joy is at an all time low.

What makes me truly happy? What is my proudest accomplishment?

I sat down and really thought about that. What stands out the most? After a long time I finally figured it out.

Let me preface this by saying, this "accomplishment" or "ability" is nothing without "serendipity". It is nothing without being at the right place or at the right time, it's actually grabbing on to the opportunity.

Ladies and gents, I am proud to say that I have the greatest friends you can ever make. They are all wonderful human beings that I very lucky to have. They make me happy. For some miracle, I was able to meet these people and be able to connect with them. The type of connection that makes life worth living.

For some reason I landed in a middle school in San Gabriel Valley, for some reason I ended up going to a university I never even heard of until it was time to apply, and for some reason I ended up in an office where I never thought I'd be. Life threw me into these places and I met some of the greatest people I will ever meet in my life.

Those same people have been through the darkest of times with me. They're with me wherever I go. They are a part of me. In that sense, I'm never really alone. They continue to be supportive even during this time, "reconstruction".

Now you're probably thinking, "Hey, finding friends really isn't an ability. It's circumstantial". Au contraire reader. Meeting them was circumstantial, continuing the life journey with them is the ability. It's my superpower. I don't really know how I do it or why I deserve it, but it's something I'm really proud of.  I don't understand it, but I'm very glad I have it.

So to my friends who've been there through fun and horrendous times, thank you. Rest assured that I will never take meeting you and being your friend for granted. Thank you.

"We'll meet again some day along the way and we will laugh just like in the old days; and it will feel like nothing ever changed" 

"Friends" by David Benjamin 

Post by: Muriel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2017)

My Top 10 OPM Songs (2018)

The Privilege of Knowing Me